Through AIACA’s extensive experience in the crafts sector for more than 10 years, it has been realized that technology is a critical component of making craft businesses efficient and competitive in the contemporary world. In addition to this, several artisan across the length and breadth of India lack access to government schemes and entitlements. Therefore, supported by Google, through this project AIACA aims to bring together highly skilled artisans, often working in remote areas and in oblivion, across the length and breadth of India to a common online platform for the services of Craftmark certification, consumer awareness, promotion and market linkage and access to schemes and entitlements.
February 2015 to February 2018
Across 22 states of India, where Craftmark and AIACA have their outreach.
The project is working on the following dimensions:
- Integrate technology to generate awareness about handlooms and handicrafts and facilitate market linkages for artisans through e-commerce.
- Collating relevant schemes and entitlements for artisans and disseminating information about these to artisans through a regular SMS service.
- Active outreach to grassroot highly skilled artisans to bring them under the Craftmark umbrella and facilitate capacity building for them.
- AIACA has partnered with e-commerce platforms such as Paytm, Amazon and GoCoop to create online stores for handicraft products by Craftmarkmembers. Our store on Amazon is doing significantly well.
- Craftmark has launched a Youtube channel and uploads videos on different craft processes regularly to spread awareness about Indian handicrafts.
- Craftmark has launched its online schemes portal and started a regular SMS service to inform our database of 20,000 artisans about their entitlements and how to access them.
- Each artisan member has an individual page dedicated to them on the Craftmark website. This has helped them reach out to larger markets.